Wednesday, November 8, 2017




After seeing that I was allowed to use whichever curation tool I’d like for this project, I right away decided to use Pinterest.  Pinterest is so easy for me to navigate and find creative ideas for any topic.  I created a board and titled it “EDIM 516” so I knew this was where I’d be placing all of my Genius Hour pins.  I love when I search something on Pinterest, there is a picture and a small description underneath so I can quickly gauge whether or not I want to read more of the article or blog.

I was having a little bit of trouble with my curation board at first. I was pinning items that I found useful, but they were not showing up for others to see. After realizing that my board was not displaying all of my pins, I decided to look into Diigo and Flipboard.  I did not find them nearly as user-friendly as Pinterest, but this could be due to my familiarity with Pinterest.  I decided to stick with Pinterest for this project as it is more important that I can see all of my pins for this project. I ended up emailing Pinterest and within a day my issue with not displaying my pins was resolved!

I think that my initial sources that I found state many advantages to Genius Hour. I’m also finding many teacher created blogs out there, which I enjoy reading, but I also would like to find more resources that have actual research to back up the facts.  The nice part about Pinterest is that I can search for something via Google and then Copy/Paste that link into Pinterest.  I can pin that particular webpage to my board.  I’d also like to find resources that show the negatives of using Genius Hour in the classroom so I can view all sides of why Genius Hour will work or not work within a classroom. Overall, I think my Pinterest board is off to a great start for my final project.

Imaged Taken from: http://www.curata.com/blog/content-curation-the-art-of-a-curated-post-infographic/

2 comments:

  1. Rebecca,

    I agree with you, Pinterest is the best! I love the search tools, and the ability to add from our own searches online, as well as the pictures and comments that go along with each pin. I too, checked out some of the other tools and also found them a bit cumbersome. I enjoyed looking at your board and following a few of your links to learn more about Genius Hour (this term/ trend is new to me). My understanding at this point is still pretty basic, and a look forward to seeing how you explore the topic and learning more about what Genius Hour looks like in a classroom.

    Thanks for sharing!
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal,
    I'm glad you found some of my links useful! Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete