Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Games in the Classroom

When looking into educational games that I use with my third graders, I decided to review both Prodigy and the Teachley App: Mt. Multiplus.  I chose Prodigy due to my students’ love of using the app and I chose Mt. Multiplus because I was just introduced to the game this year.  We had a webinar on the various Teachley apps and have been using them ever since.  





Prodigy Pictures





When looking at the Prodigy game based on what I view as the teacher, I find the information provided and the data that is generated extremely beneficial.  I am able to create an assignment based on the common core third grade standards that we are working on in class and select the total number of questions for each skill.  I can also customize this so if I have a student who is working on first-grade standards, I can select first-grade common core questions for those particular students.  I can also select standardized assessments for students to practice when PSSA prep-time comes around.  If assigning common core standards is not your thing, then your students can still play as they will take a placement test to determine their grade level.  There are so many options to chose from when it comes to what concepts in math I want students to be practicing.

Prodigy provides thorough reports that I can easily access on my teacher dashboard.  I can view student usage, the skills they are working on and how well they are doing, along with selecting specific students and a date range to see specific results.  For example, one particular student in my class was working on second-grade 2D shapes and mixed operation practice.  During his 2D shape practice, he answered three questions and received 100%.  On his mixed operations, he answered 11 questions and received a 73%.  Finally, we are working on addition to 1,000 and he had an assignment to complete for me on the third-grade level.  He answered 9 questions and scored a 78%.  The information this provides is amazing as I can clearly see what this child still needs to work on and the levels of performance.

The game itself is a learning app that is adaptive for your students.  This app is best suited for practice, not direct instruction as it simply has students practicing skills (Gorrell, 2017).  The graphics appeal to the students and it blends adventure into a fun math game.  Students have the ability to get distracted by going to sections of the game that do not involve learning, along with getting distracted by spells, pets, and battles (Gorrell, 2017).  High expectations need to be communicated to students that solving math problems is the reason why we are using the app (Gorrell, 2017).

Overall, Prodigy is programmable and has gameplay that can be viewed and discussed with students.  It supports common core standards or the “big ideas” in third grade, along with allowing students many ways to win when casting spells and battling their opponents.  If they miss questions, they have an opportunity to answer up to three times.  Students are not timed so there is not any twitch play involved in this program and it allows students to see how well they are doing by providing them incentives when they battle and cast spells.  They can collect items and upgrade their characters, while also interacting with their peers and other players by answering various math problems (Prodigy, n.d.).

Mt. Multiplus Pictures




Teachley is another game that I use with my third graders and it teaches the students the strategies for multiplication. Students are able to solve problems using number lines and area models (Gorrell, 2014).  They build bridges and help the character Linka move through the city of Mt. Multiplus (Gorrell, 2014).  Students unlock treasures, collect gems, and can eventually rebuild bridges to show their progress on learning multiplication facts (Gorrell, 2014).

Type of Multiplication Problems
Students have to solve multiplication equations by dragging planks to an area model (Gorrell, 2014). They earn gems for solving problems and then they use those gems to build the bridges (Gorrell, 2014).  While using Mt. Multiplus, students are not in twitch play as they are using strategies to help them solve and model multiplication facts.  They are not memorizing the facts during this type of game or needing to quickly answer questions.

The game for me as the teacher is very difficult to plan and discuss with my students.  I have a dashboard that shows me the facts students have mastered so far and where they are struggling or need more guidance/support.  I cannot assign students to specific facts on this program to study as they work through it independently.  This game supports the "big ideas" of third grade in ways of common core standards for multiplication.  It provides students with concrete examples, area models, and practice of solving the problems, not just memorization of facts.  It offers students multiple ways to win as it provides them with several problems if they get them wrong, along with providing them incentives to get better at the game.  

Curricular and Grade Applications
I think overall both Prodigy and Teachley: Mt. Multiplus are excellent for third graders as they support math in two very different ways.  Prodigy is working on all kinds of skills in math and is very challenging.  Mt. Multiplus is also challenging but focuses on specific strategies for multiplication. Students have increased test scores due to the extra practice on both programs.

Pedagogical and Class Management Considerations
From a pedagogical and classroom management viewpoint, I think that both apps are an excellent way to incorporate games into Daily 5 Math.  Students have a technology station where they use their iPads and both Prodigy and Mt. Multiplus are an option to play.  Students are engaged and practicing concepts that have already been taught, reinforcing essential math skills.  Students are excited to play both games and look forward to the technology station.  Overall, both programs have their positives and negatives, but I have seen more academic positives from both apps with my third graders.

There are many educators who are using various types of games in their own classroom. Some use it as whole group review, small group practice, and even independent work during stations. Some educators who are using games within their classroom are:


Lindsay Ann- She uses Socrative, Quizziz, and Kahoot within her classroom. She has seen excellent results from her students!

Erin Integration- Uses fun games such as an electronic scoot.

Chandra - Uses powerpoint and has students interacting in different ways.  She uses it for games within her classroom.


References:
Gorrell, D. (2014, September 04). Teachley: Mt. Multiplis - App Review. Retrieved November 27, 2017, from https://www.commonsensemedia.org/app-reviews/teachley-mt-multiplis

Gorrell, D. (2017, January 27). Prodigy Math Game - App Review. Retrieved November 27, 2017, from https://www.commonsensemedia.org/app-reviews/prodigy-math-game

Prodigy - Product Reviews. (n.d.). Retrieved November 27, 2017, from https://www.edsurge.com/product-reviews/prodigy

4 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca,
    I really appreciated your analysis of the games that you did. There are so many aspects to consider when choosing an app to use and maybe even building into your schedule as a teacher. I think that they data that is provided in Prodigy makes it so worth it to use in the classroom to group students and further their understanding.
    Kahoot is one that I use weekly in my classroom for review. My students get SO excited when they hear the music and see that I am putting it in on the board. They also are very motivated by the leader board. I think we are cautious at teachers to show students grades as rankings in elementary school, but there is merit in it. Naturally our students are competitive and this is a great way to tap in to that.
    Thanks for your thoughts!
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca!

    I loved learning about the two games you analyzed, for I have never heard of them before! I particularly liked the sound of Prodigy with its support of the common core standards, idea of a placement test and flexibility for instruction, and the ease of use for the teacher. This is something I would like to look into further. It sounds neat! Using games such as these are a new exploration for me. I use educational games, such as Kahoot!, Quiiziz, and XtraMath, but that is about the extent of the gaming we use. These games give excellent feedback, but they are not as in-depth as the way Prodigy sounds. I do realize how excited my students get and their motivation increases when we play these games, so I would like to continue to research games and try them in my room, so your suggestions and reviews are appreciated!

    Thank you for the ideas!
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rebecca,
    Thank you for your thorough analysis of the two games. I have never heard of either of them but plan on looking into them next week! Are they both free or do you need a subscription? My students use ABCya for fact practice during their math workshop time. The only downfall to them using it during that time is that I don't have access to their data because it is monitored by the math workshop teacher. I would like to try and incorporate these two games though into math workshop if possible. I especially love that you can differentiate for each kid.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan-
      Prodigy is free, but my district pays for Teachley! I'd definitely check out Prodigy though as it can be tailored to meet student needs and can be based on all different grade levels!
      Thanks for your replies and good luck!
      -Rebecca

      Delete