Friday, April 21, 2017

Public Service Announcements

While viewing two public service announcements, I was taking on the role of a parent and my thoughts and reflections on the questions reflect this role.

“The Essay”

1. What was the main idea or point being made?
As I watched this video, I feel the main idea or point being made is to allow your child to take risks and be creative regardless of what others may think.  I believe it is acknowledging that children are our future and teachers need to be aware of and teach 21st Century skills that may be unfamiliar.

2. What audience was the video trying to reach?
I think the audience for this video is both teachers and parents. It provides teachers insight as to the thought processes of a young student and how she views and understands technology.  I believe the target audience is also parents.  It pulls at the heart-strings by having a young child reading a profoundly written essay about the future and having confidence in herself even when faced with adversity.  The video demonstrates parents standing behind their child and providing support of their child to be bold and brave.

3. Were the methods used to create the video effective?  Why or why not?
I think the methods used in this video were effective because of the child reading the personal essay. The child’s voice catches my attention as a parent because it makes me think of my own son.  I think by using parent emotion and other students’ reactions are powerful, but I did have to replay this public service announcement several times due to difficulty in understanding what the child was saying due to her accent.

“We Think”

1. What was the main idea or point being made?
The main idea in this video is showing the importance of sharing ideas and connecting globally to others around the world with the ease of technology.  It is demonstrating the ways to use the web for the creative mind, but also as a way to increase knowledge about mass innovation while sharing ideas to help others learn.  It is a way for people to work together to learn and invent.

2. What audience was the video trying to reach?
I think this video is trying to reach both teachers and administrators.  In the video, it provides many reasons as to why people should use the web, such as to encourage innovation.  It is important that when my child attends school, he learns 21st Century skills like sharing ideas collaboratively with others online, along with thinking creatively and being encouraged to innovate.  This video is also demonstrating to teachers and administrators that students need to have a voice and a say in their learning.  By using technology, this can be achieved with ease.

3. Were the methods used to create the video effective?  Why or why not?
I think the methods were incredibly powerful that were used within this video.  They were powerful due to the music and using only words.  It forced me to focus and read without a lot of other distractions.  The video flowed from one idea to the next and thoughts were short and powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment